Wednesday 23 September 2015

My Story Up to Now

I had this lump in my left neck since Dec 2014 and did not think much of it. Even reading in books about how to recognise lymphoma did not scare me to think that what I had was anything that serious at the time. It was just one lump which started growing bigger as time passed. Eventually, I started feeling a lump on my right neck as well. During this time, I was doing my medicine/surgery semester in University of Newcastle and I was also a bit caught up in work to actually bother checking it. I guess the blessing in disguise was to inform my parents and Felicia about it and they eventually coaxed me into checking it albeit later than we all would've liked.

So around the end of July 2015 just before I was planning to go home to Malaysia for a 2 week mid semester break, I decided to see the GP on a Friday. Initially, he did not think anything of it but still sent me for an ultrasound scan (the one they use to listen to the baby in movies). The very next day, I went with Felicia to the centre to do my scan. We entered thinking nothing of it but I said to her if it was something, it would be lymphoma. 😂 While they were scanning, I was looking at the screen and I saw the lymph node. It was around 27mm and then the technician moved the probe further up my neck and I saw more. The report said I had a few enlarged lymph nodes but I reckon I had 3 or 4 in my neck. The technician went out to ask for the radiologist. She was really professional to not say what she thought I had and said that she will ask the radiologist to inform us. The radiologist came back with her and told me I had lymphoma. I was shocked and speechless but I'm not a very emotional person. Felicia was crying though and I was comforting her. Haha. I don't even know if it was supposed to be that way or the other way around. Hahaha. Anyway, we went out of the room. And I called my parents and brother to inform them. My mum cried over the phone and was still in disbelief. My brother just asked questions to understand more of what I'm having. I did a chest x ray at the centre then I went home. I guess I was calm throughout I dunno why. Maybe it's just me or that's how I handle stress but yes I've always been calm. In most cases. 😂

Eventually, we decided to go Sydney that very same day to stay with my brother. Felicia went back on Sunday and my dad came over on Wednesday. The next following weeks were just a flurry of tests and investigations done on me which I have posted previously. I took a 6 month leave of absence from uni. I am in my final year of medicine. Almost 2 and a half weeks later, I came home to Malaysia where I was in a bit of a dilemma to find a doctor. We had suggestions of a Dr Ng or a Prof Gan. After weighing out the options of both as well as the hospitals capabilities, we decided with Prof Gan. However, she decided to ask us to seek Dr Ng for a PET scan and a bone marrow biopsy because it would be done faster there. We eventually did all that and in the process discovered that I am in stage 4 of Hodgkins Lymphoma. This was a mighty blow to me and my family but we have to stay hopeful and strong.😁 At the start, I was still in the state of calm as I had the thought that I was in stage 2a which is very good prognosis. After finding out I was in stage 4, I panicked and was unsettled for some time and was about to make rash decisions to go to SJMC to undergo faster treatment.

Thankfully, my parents managed to keep level-headed and we stuck with the plan. I have no regrets and am currently having my chemo supervised by Prof Gan and her team. So far I am very contented with all the staff, doctors and nurses in UH. And i'll be here for 5months of treatment!!

P.S. I have absolutely no clue how to write blogs. I hope you guys enjoy it and can tell me what to improve on. 😁 Till next time! 

2 comments: