Friday 25 September 2015

Drugs and Drugs

Disclaimer: This is for my fellow medically related friends who might understand a bit more on medical terms.

Right now, I am on a BEACOPP chemotherapy regime which is one of 2 types of chemotherapy regimes for Hodgkin's lymphoma. The other one is ABVD which is a milder chemotherapy. The BEACOPP regime that I am on right now consists of Bleomycin, Etoposide, Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cyclophosphamide, Oncovin (Vincristine), Procarbazine and Prednisolone.

This BEACOPP regime has an escalated and a non-escalated BEACOPP. My first cycle is going to be the non-escalated one. Subsequent cycles should be the escalated BEACOPP. This regime was created in Germany and the German doctors favor this regime more than ABVD for most cases. ABVD is favored in most other countries as it is a tried and tested and older chemotherapy regime.


For this regime, Procarbazine and Prednisolone is to be taken for the first 14 days of this 21 day cycle of BEACOPP and the last 7 days as a recovery period where no drugs are to be taken.


I am in my first week currently and on my first day aside from Procarbazine and Prednisolone, I have taken Cyclophosphamide, Doxorubicin and Etoposide. Doxorubicin made me pee pink. hahaha. I felt really tired and no appetite after my 1st day. I slept like 4 hours right after reaching home and at night I tried to eat dinner and it was like eating plain paper. (Thanks Fritz, Mum and Felicia for encouraging me to eat!)

Second day, I only had Etoposide to be given to me aside from Procarbazine and Prednisolone. Felt really good and alright.

Third day, I had Etoposide aside from Procarbazine and Prednisolone and I am feeling almost normal just tired.

On Monday (28/9), they will be giving me vincristine and Bleomycin. I think this will be strong drugs and I would be feeling worse. But at least I am mentally prepared I guess.


Thanks for reading and I would change certain info here if there is any changes :)



No comments:

Post a Comment